MedicAlert introduces Canada’s first Mobile GPS Emergency Alert System integrated with a medical identification service
GPS Guardian Connect integrated with MedicAlert can help Canadians live a more active and independent life, in and out of their homes
Toronto, Ontario, September 19, 2017 – MedicAlert, Canada’s largest membership-based registered charity, introduced GPS Guardian Connect, a first-of-its-kind mobile GPS emergency alert system that provides 24/7 protection to Canadians with medical conditions, allowing them to continue living an active, independent lifestyle with peace of mind.
“We’re excited to offer Canadians and their families a whole new level of one-of-kind, 24/7 protection,” says Robert Ridge, President and CEO of MedicAlert Foundation Canada. “GPS Guardian Connect is the only mobile GPS product integrated with MedicAlert— the most trusted medical identification service among paramedics, police and other emergency responders.”
First of its kind in Canada, GPS Guardian Connect is integrated with an authentic MedicAlert medical ID that is custom-engraved using standardized and globally accepted medical terminology preferred by emergency responders. MedicAlert’s exclusive 24/7 Emergency Hotline enables emergency responders to access a person’s comprehensive electronic medical profile, while the Family Notification Service alerts the person’s family of the situation and their whereabouts, so they can be at their side when they need them most.
GPS Guardian Connect can be life-saving for Canadian families who care for someone with any of the following medical conditions: those that are prone to wandering due to dementia or autism, have difficulty walking or are at risk of falling, have limited vision, heart disease, diabetes, seizures, Parkinson’s or similar conditions. It also provides peace of mind for those who live alone and simply want the ability to have their location tracked while enjoying outdoor activities such as running or hiking.
According to the Alzheimer Society of Canada, there are more than 564,000 Canadians living with dementia. In the United States, over 60 per cent of people with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias can become disoriented even in familiar places and will eventually wander from home or get lost, according to the Alzheimer’s Association, and up to 50 per cent will come to harm if they are not found within 24 hours. Additionally, half of people with autism will wander, according to the National Autism Association in the U.S., and in the case of kids under the age of ten, 42 per cent of outcomes will result in tragedy.
With GPS Guardian Connect, Canadians can now enjoy a weekend trip or family vacation with the peace of mind that their loved one will stay safe and protected at home. Providing unprecedented 24/7 protection to Canadians and their families, the mobile GPS emergency alert system offers:
- Real Time GPS Location Tracking - Even if a loved one is lost or unable to communicate their location, MedicAlert’s GPS technology can help family members detect their location in real time and access help at just a push of a button.
- 24/7 Response Centre and Live Agents - Help is available anytime around the clock, and once help is requested, a two-way voice communication with a live agent will be established.
- Auto Alerts to Family and Friends - In addition to being alerted to any potentially urgent situations, emergency contacts are also able to locate their loved one at all times on their computers and mobile devices.
- SOS Emergency Button - In an emergency, a press of a button signals for help and allows the person to speak with an Emergency Hotline Agent directly through the GPS device.
- Fall Detection Technology - When the device detects a fall, it automatically sends an alert to our 24/7 Response Centre and to the person’s emergency contacts - without having to press a button.
- Integrated with MedicAlert - This is Canada’s only mobile medical alert system with GPS that’s integrated with MedicAlert, the most trusted medical identification service among paramedics, police and other emergency responders.
For more information on GPS Guardian Connect, visit medicalert.ca/gps
or call 1.866.225.2540.
About MedicAlert Foundation Canada
MedicAlert Foundation Canada (MAFCA) is the largest membership-based registered charity in Canada and it is the leading provider of emergency medical information services. MedicAlert’s mission is to ensure that all Canadians have access to high-quality health information at time of need, and has protected more than one million Canadians since 1961.
MedicAlert® is backed by robust electronic health records maintained by medically trained professionals, a state-of-the-art secure database, and a 24/7 Emergency Hotline that answers calls from emergency responder personnel in 140 languages within an average of 5 seconds, all linked to customized identification products for Canadians with medical conditions and special needs. Universally recognized and respected, MedicAlert speaks for you, when you can’t™.
Learn more about MedicAlert, how it works, and how you or a loved one can sign up to a service plan by visiting medicalert.ca
or calling 1.866.225.2540.
High Road 416-644-2234